Recently, I upon a video of distinguished voice teacher Vera Rosza (1971-2010) – whose students included Anthony Rolfe Johnson, Anne Sofie von Otter and Dorothea Roschmann among others – discussing a list she had compiled which outlined the basic ingredients for a successful career in singing.
Comprised of 19 items (Phew – Just 19!), the list reads as follows:
- Good Sensitive Ears
- Good Health
- Will Power
- Good nerves to face potential failures
- Power of Communication
- Knowledge of an instrument other than the voice
- Knowledge of at least 2 languages
- No Stage Fright
- Artistic Temperament
- Dramatic Ability
- Good Taste
- A total devotion to the Stage
- To be Extroverted on Stage
She concluded by saying: “To be any artist, you must have a heart of fire and a brain of ice”.
Some rather inspiring words.